Stock market news for April 16, 2020
April 17, 2020
Stock market news
The US stock market after a choppy trading session closed higher, with tech stocks leading in gains. At the close on April 16, 2020, the major stock indexes price levels were as follows:
Dow Jones: 23537.68,+33.33 +0.14%
Nasdaq Composite: 8532.36, +139.19 +1.66%
S&P 500: 2799.55,+16.19 +0.58%
Russell 2000: 1178.09,-5.89 -0.50%
- Arcus Biosciences, Inc. (RCUS): 29.50+13.92 (+89.35%)
- Liberty TripAdvisor Holdings, Inc. (LTRPB): 59.00+24.31 (+70.08%)
- ThermoGenesis Holdings, Inc. (THMO): 6.60+2.01 (+43.79%)
- Global Eagle Entertainment Inc. (ENT): 2.6200-0.9450 (-26.51%)
- Athersys, Inc. (ATHX): 2.2800-0.8200 (-26.45%)
- ProPetro Holding Corp. (PUMP): 2.7900-0.9200 (-24.80%)
Most actives stocks
- General Electric Company (GE): 6.24-0.26 (-4.00%)
- Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. (AMD): 56.95+1.96 (+3.56%)
- Bank of America Corporation (BAC): 21.42-0.77 (-3.47%)
Stock Market, U.S. Sectors & Industries Performance
Health Care was the best performing sector +2.20%, Energy was the worst-performing sector -3.97%.
“Five million more Americans file jobless claims as Covid-19 downturn deepens – as it happened. More than twenty million unemployment claims have been filed in the last month across America. US initial claims hit 5.2m last week.
Another wave of grim economic news has shown that America’s economy is sinking into its worst recession in decades.
Another five million US citizens filed jobless claims last week, taking the total laid off since the Covid-19 lockdown began last month to over 22 million.
Economists believe America’s unemployment rate could have already risen to 15%, with further layoffs likely in the coming weeks.”