Stock market news
“Stocks close higher, but snap weekly winning streak
US stocks ended the session sharply higher on Friday, but the three major indexes recorded weekly losses, snapping a two-week winning streak.
The driver behind that underperformance was the oil market carnage at the start of the week, which dragged the stock market down with it.
But finishing in the green on Friday is a hopeful sign for the week ahead. If investors were nervous about weekend headlines about the coronavirus and the economy, stocks would have likely closed down for the day, as was the case in many weeks since the outbreak began, experts said.
The Dow closed up 1.1%, or 260 points. For the week, the index fell 1.9%.
The S&P 500 finished 1.4% higher, for a 1.3% weekly loss.
The Nasdaq Composite closed up 1.7%, and slipped 0.2% for the week.”
How the US stock market closed on April 24, 2020
S&P 500: 2,836.74,+38.94(+1.39%)
Dow 30: 23,775.27,+260.01(+1.11%)
Russell 2000: 1,233.05,+18.99(+1.56%)
- Mesoblast Limited (MESO): 15.45+9.00 (+139.53%)
- ORIC Pharmaceuticals, Inc. (ORIC): 25.77+9.77 (+61.06%)
- Microbot Medical Inc. (MBOT): 9.20+2.98 (+47.91%)
- Amira Nature Foods Ltd. (RYCE): 13.09-5.91 (-31.11%)
- Azul S.A. (AZUL): 7.30-1.53 (-17.33%)
- Interpace Biosciences, Inc. (IDXG): 5.0000-0.8900 (-15.11%)
Most active stocks
- General Electric Company (GE): 6.26-0.26 (-3.99%)
- Inovio Pharmaceuticals, Inc. (INO): 14.59+2.56 (+21.28%)
- Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. (AMD): 56.18+0.28 (+0.50%)
Stock market source: https://www.wsj.com/market-data/stocks
Stock Market, U.S. Sectors & Industries Performance
Information Technology was the best performing sector +2.11%, Energy was the worst-performing sector +0.21%.