Stock market news
Jobs report: U.S. economy adds 145,000 jobs in December, unemployment rate holds at 3.5%
“The U.S. labor market capped off 2019 with fewer than expected job gains and decelerating wage growth. The joblessness rate, however, held at a 50-year low.
Here were the main results from the Department of Labor’s report Friday compared to consensus estimates compiled by Bloomberg:
- Change in non-farm payrolls: +145,000 vs. +160,000 expected and +256,000 in November
- Unemployment rate: 3.5% vs. 3.5% expected and 3.5% in November
- Average hourly earnings, month on month: +0.1%vs. +0.3% expected and +0.3% in November
- Average hourly earnings, year on year: +2.9%vs. +3.1% expected and +3.1% in November
The latest jobs report included downward revisions to both October and November’s payroll gains. New jobs in October totaled 152,000, down 4,000 from the previous estimate. And payrolls in November were revised down by 10,000 to 256,000.”. Source: Yahoo Finance.
How stock market closed today
The December jobs report why is the stock market down today is the main reason why is the stock market down today. At close on Friday, December 10, 2020 this the stock market market update:
- S&P 500: 3,265.35,-9.35(-0.29%)
- Dow 30: 28,823.77,-133.13(-0.46%)
- Nasdaq: 9,178.86,-24.57(-0.27%)
- Russell 2000: 1,657.64,-7.34(-0.44%)