Stock market report August 23 2019
August 24, 2019
US stock market report August 23 2019
A strong sell-off for stocks for the last weekly trading session, with all major US stock market indices closing lower more than 2%. The reason being US – China trade war deepends as President Trump tweeted and ordered the US manufacturers to seek an alternative market and country other than China for their business activities located outside the US. This is the summary of the US stock market at close on Friday, August 23, 2019:
- S&P 500: 2,847.11,-75.84(-2.59%)
- Dow 30: 25,628.90,-623.34(-2.37%)
- Nasdaq: 7,751.77,-239.62(-3.00%)
- Russell 2000: 1,459.49,-46.52(-3.09%)
- 10-Yr Bond: 1.5280,-0.0820(-5.09%)
- Vix: 19.87,+3.19(+19.12%)
Entertainment One Ltd. (ENTMF) was the stock with largest gains closing at $7.98+$2.73 (+52.00%).
Foot Locker, Inc. (FL) was the stock with largest losses closing at $34.00-$7.93 (-18.91%).
Stock investing – Most active stocks
Apple Inc. (AAPL) was among the most active stocks closing at $202.64-$9.82 (-4.62%).
U.S. Sectors & Industries Performance
With the strong sell-off for stocks all sectors closed lower. Utilities was the best performing sector -1.05%, Energy was the worst performing sector -3.37%, Source: Fidelity.
Stock market news
- Everyone Who Hates the Stock Market Is Feeling a Lot Smarter Now
- Gold and Treasuries surge as the escalating trade war sends investors fleeing from the stock market
- Stocks close sharply lower after Trump-fueled selloff
Stock market data
This report is written by Stavros Georgiadis, CFA Equity Research Analyst, Investment Strategist.