US stock market report August 29 2019
A second consecutive day with gains for the US stock market mainly because China said it won’t retaliate on new tariffs, possibly a very important change in this trade war between USA and China. Emotion and sentiment for risk are a key driver for the stocks other than earnings reports. This is the summary for the US stock market at close on Thursday August 29 1019:
- S&P 500: 2,924.58,+36.64(+1.27%)
- Dow 30: 26,362.25,+326.15(+1.25%)
- Nasdaq: 7,973.39,+116.51(+1.48%)
- Russell 2000: 1,496.72,+24.01(+1.63%)
- 10-Yr Bond: 1.5160,+0.0500(+3.41%)
- Vix: 17.88,-1.47(-7.60%)
Nutanix, Inc. (NTNX) was the stock with biggest gains closing at $24.01+$4.41 (+22.50%).
Micro Focus International plc (MFGP) was the stock with biggest losses closing at $12.98-$5.91 (-31.29%).
Stock investing – Most active stocks
Banco Santander, S.A. (SAN) was among the most active stocks closing at $3.7800+$0.0300 (+0.80%).
U.S. Sectors & Industries Performance
Industrials was the best performing sector +1.77%, Consumer Staples was the worst performing sector 0.00%.
US stock market earnings today
Some of the companies releasing earnings today are Big Lots Inc (BIG), Campbell Soup Co (CPB), and USA Technologies Inc (USATP).
Stock market news
- Stocks Advance, Bonds Slip to End Volatile Month: Markets Wrap
- Stocks rally on hopes that trade tensions will ease
- Here are 2019’s biggest stock market winners and losers in the Dow, S&P 500 and Nasdaq
Stock market data
All data about stocks , stock investing, stock trading is taken from Yahoo Finance, Fidelity and stockcharts.com.
This report is written by Stavros Georgiadis, CFA Equity Research Analyst, Investment Strategist.