US stock market report September 24 2019
US stock market closed lower and volatility increased based on 3 major factors.
- Trump’s potential impeachment
- A lower than expected figure for consumer confidence
- Trump’s speech at the 2019 United Nations General Assembly which left open the scenario of not reaching any time soon a definite trade deal between US and China.
He took shots at China during his UN address today, accusing the nation of breaking promises to the international community to “adopt promised reforms.”https://edition.cnn.com/politics/live-news/trump-un-speech-09-24-2019/index.html
This is the stock market update at close on Tuesday, September 24, 2019:
- S&P 500: 2,966.60,-25.18(-0.84%)
- Dow 30: 26,807.77,-142.22(-0.53%)
- Nasdaq: 7,993.63,-118.83(-1.46%)
- Russell 2000: 1,533.59,-24.66(-1.58%)
The CBOE Volatility Index (VIX) spiked to 17.05, +2.14, +14.35%.
Veolia Environnement S.A. (VEOEF) was the stock with biggest gains closing at $28.00+$3.85 (+15.94%).
BlackBerry Limited (BB) was the stock with biggest losses closing at $5.81-$1.70 (-22.64%).
Stock investing – Most active stocks
NIO Inc. (NIO) was among the most active stocks closing at $2.1700-$0.5500 (-20.22%).
U.S. Sectors & Industries Performance
Utilities was the best performing sector +1.06%, Energy was the worst performing sector -1.63%.
Stock market data
This report is written by Stavros Georgiadis, CFA Equity Research Analyst, Investment Strategist.