August 2, 2019
US stock market report August 1 2019
A trading session with significant volatility as the stock market went up for plenty of time but news that further tariffs will be imposed from US to China goods was enough to send the major indices closing at lower levels as a selloff was evident for the majority of stocks. This is the summary for US stock market at close on Thursday August 1 2019:
- S&P 500: 2,953.56,-26.82(-0.90%)
- Dow 30: 26,583.42,-280.85(-1.05%)
- Nasdaq: 8,111.12,-64.30(-0.79%)
- Russell 2000: 1,550.76,-23.84(-1.51%)
- 10-Yr Bond: 1.8940,-0.1270(-6.28%)
- Vix: 17.87,+1.75(+10.86%)
Myriad Genetics, Inc. (MYGN) was the stock with largest gains closing at $45.01+$15.87 (+54.46%).
Pluralsight, Inc. (PS) was the stock with largest losses closing at
Stock investing – Most active stocks
Bank of America Corporation (BAC) was among the most active stocks closing at $29.49-$1.19 (-3.88%).
U.S. Sectors & Industries Performance
Utilities was the best performing sector +1.01%, Financials was the worst performing sector -2.32%, Source: Fidelity
US stock market earnings today
Some of the companies releasing earnings today are Hennessy Advisors Inc (HNNA), Exxon Mobil Corp (XOM), Sprint Corp (S), Chevron Corp (CVX), Infinity Energy Resources Inc (INFY) and Seagate Technology PLC (STX).
Stock market news
- Stocks plunge after Trump takes his trade war with China to a new level
- Stocks Tumble as Trump Ignites Fresh Trade Fears: Markets Wrap
- Opinion: This highly accurate stock-market predictor just hit its most bearish level since the internet bubble
Stock market data
Stocks to buy or stocks to sell – stock market newsletter
This report is written by Stavros Georgiadis, CFA Equity Research Analyst, Investment Strategist