US stock market weekly update July 29-August 2 2019
All major US stock market indices had severe weekly losses as selling pressure intensified due to new trade tariffs announcements imposed by US to China. This is the weekly summary for US stock market:
- Dow Jones Industrial Average: Close 26,485,Week -2.6%, YTD 13.5%
- S&P 500 Index: Close 2,932 , Week-3.1%, YTD 17.0%
- NASDAQ: Close 8,004, Week -3.9%, YTD 20.6%
- Source: Bloomberg
US stock market report for Friday August 2 2019
The last trading session for the week of July 29 – August 2 2019 ended with losses for all three major US stock market indices, and mostly for the Nasdaq. This is the summary at close on Friday August 2 2019:
- S&P 500: 2,932.05,-21.51(-0.73%)
- Dow 30: 26,485.01,-98.41(-0.37%)
- Nasdaq: 8,004.07,-107.05(-1.32%)
- Russell 2000: 1,533.66,-17.11(-1.10%)
- 10-Yr Bond: 1.855,-0.039(-2.0591%)
- Vix: 17.61,-0.26(-1.45%)
BlackLine, Inc. (BL) was the stock with largest gains closing at $56.01+$13.47 (+31.66%).
Fluor Corporation (FLR) was the stock with largest losses closing at $22.67-$8.24 (-26.66%).
Stock investing – Most active stocks
Square, Inc. (SQ) was among the most active stocks closing at $69.60-$11.38 (-14.05%).
U.S. Sectors & Industries Performance
Real Estate was the best performing sector +0.76%, Information Technology was the worst performing sector -1.68%.
Stock market news
- Stock Market Déjà Vu, All Over Again
- THE STOCK MARKET CRASH IS COMING. HERE’S HOW TO PREPARE
- Stock markets drop on new Trump China tariffs
- Stocks Suffer Worst Week of Year on Trade, Fed: Markets Wrap
- These 7 wild and worrying facts show it’s not your father’s stock market
Stock market data
Stocks to buy or stocks to sell – stock market newsletter
This report is written by Stavros Georgiadis, CFA Equity Research Analyst, Investment Strategist